In this post, we will be discussing a little bit about Servers mainly Media Server and Plex Media Server. Before diving more deeply into the topics let’s clear some concepts like Servers and Clients.
What are Servers?
In easy wording concept of servers providing any service to other computers or users which is also known as clients. For instance, you are visiting my blog to read this post and the computer that is hosting the website is the web server, and you will be a client for that server as it is providing you the website. hoping this makes it easier to understand.
Types of Servers
We have quite a number of servers, I won’t be able to cover all of those in this post but for sure give you an idea about them. The most common servers are:
- Database Servers
- Media Servers
- Proxy Servers and so on.
In this post, I will be covering only media servers so you can create your own media server like Netflix and enjoy your time.
What is Plex Media Server?
The server that stores or servers the media like videos, pictures, and all is called a media server. You can read more about it on Wikipedia or just leave a comment on this post. I won’t be able to cover everything like how it works and all in this post to make sure to keep it simple. So for creating a media server we will be using a streaming service called Plex.
The question that may arise is What is a Plex Media Server? It gives us the ability to store the media on a computer and access it over the network without having deep knowledge of Servers and Networking. So let’s start with the Plex media server to create our very own media server.
Also Read: Intelligent Way To Deploy AWS ALB – Application Load Balancer In 2022
How to Set up Plex Media Server?
Setting up a plex media server is not hard, follow the steps below.
- First of all, we will need to download plex media server setup file. here is the link for Plex media server downloads . Plex Media server is available for most of the operating systems like Windows, Linux and Mac OS. We will be setting up Plex media server on windows OS.
- After you download the plex setup file install the setup as all typical application install.
3. Once installed launch the plex and you will see as shown in the following, log in with your preferred method.
Check this: How to send messages using WhatsApp Cloud API
4. after login you can see a setup interface as shown in the image below,click on Got it.
5. now in the next interface give a name to your plex media server and click on next.
Seems Interesting: Best Way To Call From A Private Number in 2022
6. Here select the media library (the folder which contains pictures or videos ) to import into the plex media server so you can access them from anywhere and hit next.
Also Read This: How to Turn A PDF Into An Audiobook Easily
7. In this step it will ask you to download the plex media server app for your mobile devices if you want to download the app click on get plex apps otherwise click on finish.
You might like this: Best Way Send Confidential Emails In 2022
8. Now you will another interface click on finish setup and then it will ask you to choose other streaming providers like Netflix, Amazon prime and select the one you use and click on save changes.
Also Read This: How Easy Is Register Your Business On Google in 2022
9. that’s all now you have your own personal media server.
Must Read: How To Secure A PDF File
Note: Keep in mind the media that is in the folder you selected in step 6 is going to be accessible to you from anywhere and from any device.
Plex Media Server Service
If you get the plex media server paid plan you will get more plex media services like Advanced settings , multi color theme and more dash option to give you more flexibility and personalization to your server. To get more information about what’s included in paid Plex media server please click here to check. Steps for Plex media server for Linux and Mac is also going to similar to these and if you get any issue and have questions just comment below.